Sometimes a friend from the east coast will say how good my team looks. Or how they should be playing deep into the summer this year. Makes sense, sure. But after a remarkably steady diet of habitual failure since my early teens, how do I condition myself away from expecting disaster? How do I convince myself that a 10-game losing streak isn't on the way? I feel like the average-Joe who inexplicably starting dating the hottest girl in high school and now doesn't now how to act. What do I dooooo? Should I buy a felt hat and wear it? Should I smoke a pipe? People write books all the time about how to deal with failure, but what about the book on how to deal with success where there had only ever been tears of sadness and never ending physical pain?
I should try and enjoy the wins more, but I can't stop myself from thinking, "Wait, what? This is happening? Like, for real reals?"

No comments:
Post a Comment