Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 5 and 6: Aomori, Akita

In the morning, we made our way up to Aomori, a place I've always wanted to see, one of those no-nothing towns I've always imagined as a cool destination with its own unique vibe. 

The Blue Forest is known for cold winters, apples, and being the northern most point of Honshuu. After spending a day there, unfortunately I can't think of much else to recommend it. Even the delicious milk curry ramen I had (the only place with any signs of life downtown) is made by a family with roots in Sapporo. 

The two apples I ate were powdery,but the apple cider was strong and rich in flavor. 

There's not much reason to stay in Aomori except to say that you dodged a bullet by putting it as your third preference in your JET application and not your second. 

We missed the much ballyhooed Nebuta Festival by a day. 







The next day we got the hell out of dodge and left for Akita, land of the Akita Bijin (beautiful women). 




Coming from Aomori, Akita City was a metropolis full of dreams and adventure and beautiful people. That's one of the things that has been sorely lacking since going north of Sendai: young people, specifically the ones in their mid-20s to 30s who could leave the area but choose to make a home of it in Tohoku. 




The Happinets basketball team. The B. League is the greatest. 



No comments:

Post a Comment